Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Journey for a VBAC

Last week, I finally obtained my hospital surgical records from when I had my sweet boy. It was definitely closure for me. His delivery was, for a lack of better word, intense. Unfortunately, I was induced for being "post date" or past my due date by over a week.

To pretty sum up what happened when my son was born, I was induced with Cytotec and pitocin and in the end failed to progress past 9cm. The great news I found reading my notes is that I was able to get Ethan to flip from left transverse OP to OA! I was told he was still posterior even at the time of delivery. But it was in the surgery dictation and also in the nurses notes, it said that he flipped. Yay!

I also found out I only had a single layer uterine closure. That *might* or might not complicate things whenever I do pursue my VBAC but from my findings, there isn't enough literature supporting an increased risk of uterine rupture. Plenty of women I have contacted have had a single layer closure, and were able to have a successful VBAC :)

"Arrest of dilation at 9cm with fetal macrosomia." Head circumference:14.25" Chest circumference: 13.75in or 34.9cm. Estimated fetal weight was: 3492 grams or 7.7 lbs. Weight at birth: 9lbs 9oz or 4338 grams.

I am confident next time I can do it! Even with a pretty large baby! :) after nearly 3 years of research and healing, I will do it! Whenever that time comes, but we are no way rushing it.

I've even considered becoming a birth doula.. considering all of the research on the subject. Only time will tell. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment